Monday, September 14, 2015

From Exhausted to Energized


My wife and I recently came back from a 7 day Alaskan cruise.  It was a great week to relax, to spend time with my beautiful bride, and to be unplugged from the routine of life.

In Genesis 2:2 we read about what God rested after creating the world in 6 days. "On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from all his work."

Resting does not come easy to me.  I'm the guy in the office that doesn't use all his vacation time.  I have been accused of being a work aholic from time to time.  My wife would tell you that I have hard time sitting still for long periods of time.  There's always something to be done.  My mind is always turning.

But rest isn't just a suggestion or a good idea; it's essential for healthy living.  Rest energizes us.  It' was so important that it's listed it as one of the ten commandments in Exodus 20:8-11.


"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God.  On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner in your towns.  For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day." 



I recently finished reading 'Simplify" by Bill Hybels.  Hybels identifies core issues that drive lives that are over scheduled, exhausted, and overwhelmed.  Can you relate?  I know I can. It's a great read, especially if you're life seems to be out of balance.

We only get one life to live here on earth.  Enjoy life, protect your calendar, be there for your family, honor the Lord, and take some time to rest and exercise so you can be energized.  



No comments:

Post a Comment