Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Unknown Conditions Ahead



This month on Social Media there's this 30 Day of Thankfulness challenge.  I'm not very good at keeping up on that and posting each day, but there is something to be said for taking the time to reflect on what you're thankful for.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

In all circumstances.  Did you catch that?  It's easy to be thankful for good health, for a job promotion, for a Cowboy's victory, for the purchase of a new home, for the accomplishments that happened in the lives of our children. 

But what about those non Social Media moments?  Those things you don't neccesarily share publicly.  The death of a loved one, a cut in pay, when the Cowboys lose 7 games in a row, defaulting on your dream home.

In all circumstances.

Last weekend I was at a conference and we sang the song, "Your Promises" by Elevation Worship.  One of the lines in the song stood out to me.

When the weight of life begins to fall on the name of Jesus I will call.  For I know my God is in control and His purpose is unshakeable.


I'm thankful for my wife, Jalita, who makes me a better person.  I'm thankful for my son, Isaac.  There's is no doubt that Isaac is my son. He's so much like me.  Every year we hear from his teachers or coaches that Isaac is a really nice and polite young man with a great smile.  Love hearing that.  I'm thankful for my son, Austin.  I appreciate Austin's sense of humor, He is so stinking smart and talented musically.  I can't wait to see what Austin does with all his talents. I'm thankful for my daughter, Emma.  She brings a  lot of joy into our lives.  I appreciate Emma's love for life. 

I'm thankful for the little things in life like Netflix, sports, fantasy football, Social Media, Pepsi, Wood's Coffee, licorice, and even cereal.

But even more than all those things, I am thankful that no matter the circumstance, my God is in control and His purpose is unshakeable.

So I choose to give thanks in all circumstances.



No comments:

Post a Comment