Thursday, March 12, 2015

I Don't Want to Grow!



      Growing up in Kalispell, Montana my family had a beautiful garden that we had to cultivate or develop.  It took a lot of work.  It needed to be weeded, watered.  Early in the spring my dad would get his roller tiller so that it would ready for seeds to be planted.  It took a lot of time but it was worth it.  Nothing like fresh vegetables and fruit from the garden.

Growth is a process.  It takes hard work. At times it's painful and uncomfortable.  Recently I read a book called, "Emotional Intelligence 2.0."  Not my favorite book of all time but it was helpful to me in regards to growth.  

In "Emotional Intelligence 2.0" Daniel Goleman offers new insight into the rational and emotional and how they together shape our destiny.  Goleman delineates the five crucial skills of emotional intelligence, and shows how they determine our success in relationships, work, and even our physical well-being.

Weather you want to grow as a pastor, as a parent, as a spouse, or as a co-worker . . . Emotional Intelligence 2.0 offers some good insight.  For me, I learned that the greatest need for improvement is self awareness. It was my lowest score.  Sometimes when I don’t recognize my emotions it can cause me to make a poor decision or treat someone unfairly.  I am going to keep a journal about my emotions.  It will help me to record what events triggered an emotional response.  



I'm not really looking forward to journaling about my emotions, but it will be worth it.  Growth isn't easy and at times it's not fun either.  But growth is vital if we want to become a better spouse, a better parent, a better co-worker . . and a more committed follower of Jesus.

What are you doing to grow right now?  What areas do you need to work on?





No comments:

Post a Comment